It’s that time of the year again! The semester is drawing to a close, students are frantically working on projects or studying for upcoming finals, and everyone is just waiting for semester break to begin. It’s definitely a stressful time of the year and everyone has different ways of coping with the dysfunction and stress that inevitably becomes part of their lives, but here are some expectations and realities that people encounter during the weeks leading up to finals.
Every student expectations will be like…
- You’ll start studying right away! No procrastinating for you! You have your eye on the prize and you know what you have to do.
- You’ve decided that you should probably go to the library to study. There aren’t going to be any distractions there and you’ll get tons of studying done!
- You’re going to try and be healthy during this time. Eat balanced meals with food that will charge you up and boost your brainpower!
- You’re going to try and look somewhat decent for your final! You know what they say, if you look good, you’ll feel good!
- You’ve studied so much for this exam. You know your stuff and you’re going to ace it!
- You’ve turned in your last final, which means… you’re done with finals! Huzzah!
Nevertheless, the reality…
- What?! It’s Friday of RRR (Reading, Review, and Recitation) week already?! How does time fly so quickly? Maybe marathoning The Office wasn’t such a great idea after all.
- Why is it so crowded at library? Did the entire student body decide to come out in full force and study the night away? You can’t find a seat anywhere. Guess it’s back to your room to study.
- Okay, so maybe “maggi kari” isn’t the best brain food, but it’s the only thing you have! It’s either that or eating out and neither of those options sound particularly healthy for your brain or your body. You’re just choosing the lesser of two evils.
- It’s too much effort and it takes to much time. Not to mention the fact that your sweats are 100% cotton and they’re super warm and comfy, so you feel good even if you might not really look your best.
- What is this? How come you’ve never seen this before… Was this even in the book? You just need to do moderately well, which means slightly above average at the very least.
- Is this a dream or is it reality? Are you really done with finals?! Oh yeah, you are! You’ve finished all of your finals! So time to catch up on the sleep that you’ve lost during these past couple weeks and to spend quality time with your family and friends during the break!
I am as a student deeply understand how stressful finals week can be. After all, we’re students! For all the students out there, I hope that you remember to relax and to keep your stress levels at a minimum during this time, which we know is a lot easier said than done. Remember that finals and grades do not determine your worth as a person and borne in mind that, “You are loved for who you are, not your grades.” These tests may be cumulative, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re the be-all and end-all. Try your best and be confident in what you know and what you can do! To all the college students out there, good luck on your finals and just remember, semester break is coming!